Thursday, June 30, 2016

Jinya Ramen Bar

Jinya Ramen Bar
3210 Esperanza Crossing #130, Austin, TX, 78758

    Another Ramen House?  Yeah, I know they seem to be popping up everywhere in Austin now-a-days.  First there was Ramen Tatsuya (which is still probably my favorite), then came Kome, Michi, more recently Daruma and Kanji, and now there is Jinya.  Though Jinya is a bit late to the Ramen arena in Austin, this chain is well equipped to do battle.  I apologize now for the length of this blog, it's gonna be a bit long.
    My sister and I were fortunate enough to crash the invitation only soft opening of Jinya and I was even more fortunate to be able to partake in its grand opening lunch service.  I usually don't go to the same restaurant in one week, let alone the same one two days later, unless the food is outstanding.  And that is exactly what it is... outstanding!





     So for the appetizers, the Tapas (from both days) I had the Jinya No.1: the Jinya Bun, Jinya No.2: the Brussels Sprouts Tempura, Jinya No.3: Caramelized Cauliflower, Jinya No.4: Pig Ear Chicharron, and Jinya. No.5: Spicy Creamy Shrimp Tempura.
Jinya No1. :Jinya Bun
Top: Jinya No.2: Brussels Sprouts Tempura
Bottom: Jinya No.3: Carmalized Cauliflower

       The Jinya No.1: Jinya Bun: "Thick braised pork with vegetables wrapped in a fluffy white bun."  Basically this was a braised pork belly sandwich that had arugula, cucumber and mayo surrounded by a white bun transport vessel.  The pork itself was very savory and salty enough for the bun not mellow out the pork's flavor. The cucumber and the arugula gave the dish a nice brightness and slight crunch to a potentially really heavy dish.
     The Jinya No.2: Brussels Sprouts Tempura with truffle oil.  I couldn't really taste the truffle oil, which isn't entirely a bad thing, truffle oil can over power a delicate dish.  The tempura coating was just enough to coat the Brussels and allowed for the natural sweetness of the vegetable to be fully actualized upon contact with your taste buds.
    Jinya No.3: "Caramelized Cauliflower with pine nuts, crispy mint and lime ponzu."  This was roasted cauliflower that had a been dressed in lime ponzu.  The ponzu itself I couldn't really isolate, but it did enhance the essence of the cauliflower.  Though I don't believe that the pine nuts added much to the dish in way of flavor, the nuts themselves added a crunch that the soft cauliflower lacked.

Jinya No.4: Pig Ear Chicharron
Jinya No.5: Spicy Creamy Shrimp Tempura
(What was left of them after digging in)
                           Jinya No.4: "Pig Ear Chicharron with harissa sauce, crispy kale, with an onsen tamago (poached egg)."  This dish is for the more adventurous.  These are, Julienne cut, boiled, pig ears that have been battered and deep fried and set atop a bed of slightly fried kale with a creamy spicy chili and pepper sauce, the harissa sauce, and a poached egg in the middle.  The intended way to tackle this dish, is dump the poached egg into the center of the chicharrons, after removing the ramekin that the egg is presented in and mix the egg yoke with the rest of the ingredients on the plate.  My sister and I had no problems with dealing with this dish and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was salty, crunchy, a bit chewy, was spicy and rich all at the same time.  I do think that a non-fried component was needed to balance the denseness of dish, but it was good.  Don't be afraid of it, just try it. :-)
     Jinya No.5: "Spicy Creamy Shrimp Tempura."  The picture above doesn't show the generous amount of shrimp that comprises this appetizer, I forgot to take the picture before my chop sticks did their thing.  Anyway, the creamy spicy sauce that dressed the tempura battered and fried shrimp, seemed like an emulsion of Sriracha and mayo (which I always think is delicious on just about anything).  The shrimp themselves were served atop a bed of arugula.  A very well composed dish that anyone would be happy to order...I would presume even kids.
Jinya's Tonkotsu Black

     Now for the Ramen!!! To be fair to all the other ramen houses that are in Austin, between my sister and I, Jinya's signature Tonkotsu broth ramen, Jinya Tonkotsu Black, was ordered to be able to compare apples to apples, ramen-broth to ramen-broth in the case.  We also ordered the Tonkotsu Spicy, because well, I like spicy foods and I wanted to see what they considered Spicy (their medium spice level).  I have to say that the broth is as delicious as Tatsuya's but just slightly thinner in consistency.  Another slight difference between Tatsuya and Jinya is that Jinya isn't as heavy handed with their toppings. But the broth is nothing sort of stellar and I can see why it has won so many awards (check their website for their accolades).
Tonkotsu Spicy
    The Tonkotsu Spicy is basically the Tonkotsu Black except with Jinya's spicy sauce/paste added and blended into the broth.  The manager/owner actually told me that in order to increase the spiciness of the dish all I'd have to do is add the spicy sauce that was already provided on the table.  He further added that the chefs do the same in the kitchen to amplify the heat.  So I added about another 2 teaspoons of the sauce and I obtained my desired level.  So for those of you who like a little bit of spice, I suggest just getting the Black and adding the spice in yourself so to not ruin the broth.  If you like a lot of spice, then go right on ahead and try the "HOT" and add more spicy sauce to your hearts content.  

Panna Cotta
    During the soft opening, my sister and I tried the panna cotta (one of my favorite all time desserts).  "A homemade panna cotta with caramel cream sauce, graham cracker, and vanilla ice cream."  Now what they failed to say is that the caramel cream sauce had a heavy infusion of essence of coffee.  I'm not really big into coffee so that threw me off a bit.  I could tell that the panna cotta itself (at least the samples that were given to us) had been sitting in refrigerator a bit long because it had already started to form a skin, a thick top layer.  Unfortunately because we ordered the dessert during the soft opening we didn't actually get the complete dessert, the portion size was tiny, and there wasn't any ice cream or graham cracker, so I guess I'll have to get it during my third go round with this restaurant (since I didn't want to wait for dessert during lunch).
     
     Jinya Ramen Bar is a must visit if you're 1) enjoy really exceptional ramen 2) live up north near the Domain or 3) like trying out new places that you can put in your restaurant Rolodex for when people can't decide on places to eat.  I'm sure that they have a decent sake selection, but since I only occasionally partake in libations, I'll leave that for someone else to discuss and write about.

So until next time, I bid y'all happy eating!
-Henry




No comments:

Post a Comment