Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Veracruz Tacos

Veracruz Tacos
(2711 La Frontera Blvd Suite 320, Round Rock, Texas, 78681)

        Veracruz Tacos started off as one food truck, then expanded to two trucks and now finally has a brick and mortar location (which is where this blog will be over).  Nestled between Brooklyn Pizza Company and Deluxe Dry Cleaners, this place is kinda small, but can be easily located, if you see a line outside that snakes around patio tables, just get in at the back, you're at the right place. 


        The menu is sizable for such a small location, but very much quality and adequate to satiate your appetite.  Since it was my first go round with Veracruz cuisine I decided to get a bit of everything.  I ordered the chips and salsa, steak quesadillas, one of the Taco Especiales, the fish taco, from the Tacos de Carne options, the steak with the works and to wash it all down a pineapple aguas fresca.

       
The Chips and Salsa:  So the chips seem homemade, thick, crispy, with just slight seasoning and the salsa was obviously homemade.  You could taste the roasted ingredients if you tasted them individually and when you tasted them all together, the flavors meld together like the colors of a Texas sunset overlooking the hill country (yes, just like that).  The salsa was probably the best salsa I've had in quite a long time.  Order it, you won't be sorry.


        The Quesadilla: A pair of homemade, eight inch, griddle toasted, flour tortilla filled with a generous portion of juicy marinated (marinated in what I couldn't tell you) steak and plenty of what I guess was Monterrey Jack cheese, cut into four portions for easy eating and eye catching presentation.  The cheese was gooey, the steak was flavorful and the pico and the guacamole you could tell was made in house.  I'm not sure if the sour cream was made in house as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.  I had the quesadilla's plain and with the sides and I have to say, both were excellent.  If you have little ones that are finicky eaters, the quesadilla will be a very good go-to option.



        The Fish taco: "Grilled Tilapia, with cabbage, mango pico, avocado, cheese, and a chipotle mayo salsa."  I'm not really into cabbage, never really have been, but it worked within this taco, as did all the rest of the ingredients.  I added the juice of the lime wedge that came with the taco and the acid just made the dish that more complete.  The only thing that I wish I would have thought about doing to this taco was to add the spicy mayo sauce that came with my other taco.  I think the spice would have brought the fish taco score to a 10 on a 10 point scale instead of its measly 9 on the same scale.  The numbers just like points on "Who's Line Is It Anyway" doesn't mean anything, except to give some arbitrary reference point of how good the taco was.  I know of at least one pharmacist friend that would absolutely love this taco (Yes, I'm talking to you).



        The Steak Taco with the Works:  The steak was probably the same steak as in the steak quesadilla, so the same great flavor was brought to this taco.  I opted for "the works" which added roasted diced tomatoes, avocado and more cheese to my taco.  In my book, every bit worth the $0.75 and pretty much a no brainer when it comes to up-grades.


        I usually don't talk too much about drinks, but in this case I'll make an exception.  The pineapple aqua fresca quelled my thirst, satiated my sweet craving and gave me plenty of vitamin C (that's the former nutrition major in me).  The frescas are made fresh and the portion size (32 ounces) is well worth the $4. (Sorry I don't have a good picture of the Fresca, but you can see it in the quesadilla picture)

       I really can't say enough good things about this place and its hard for me to think of negatives.  The only negatives I can come up with would be that there is limited space indoors and even more limited space outside on their patio and that the line can become rather long about 25 minutes worth.  So if you're in a hurry for a quick lunch if you're in the area, I'd suggest you call in an order for pick up.  So until next time, I bid y'all happy eating.

-Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment