Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pork Sui Mai (Shui Mai/燒賣)

Chinese New Year was this past Sunday (February 10, 2013) and I was really craving some dim sum.  Since Henry was doing a rotation Saturday and I was still sick, I decided to make some instead of going out.  I went with one of my favorites/a dim sum favorite...Sui Mai (Cantonese pronunciation, Shu mai if you're mandarin).  If you read my Wonton blog before this, then you pretty much know how to make this, you just need a few more ingredients and equipment. =)

Extra Equipment:
  • Steamer baskets, I used bamboo, but metal works too
  • Wax paper, punched with holes to line the steamer basket
  • A steamer, I actually have one, but you can use a pot with a lid
Ingredients:
  • Ground Pork, 1 lbs
  • Shaoxing wine (pretty much just rice wine)
  • Light Soy Sauce
  • Ginger (about an inch, I just broke off one of the "branches"), diced 
  • 1 Green onion, diced
  • Salt and Pepper,
  • Sugar, about 1 tbsp
  • Wonton Wrappers
  • Frozen Peas and Carrots (optional)
 Directions:
  1. Mix first 7 ingredients together.  I put a splash of wine and soy sauce, probably about one tablespoon each. Just judge it by the color, you don't want it to be too dark and smell too much like wine or soy sauce.  
  2. You can form the Sui Mai, two ways.  The first way is just placing the wonton wrapper on top of your four fingers/palm, add a little bit of the pork mixture in the middle and using your four fingers, form a square like basket.  The second way is to make an OK symbol with just your thumb and forefinger.  Place the wonton wrapper on the circle and stuff the pork mixture down into the wrapper.  Shape as needed. 
  3. I put four sui mai in the bamboo steamer and place in a steamer or a large pot with a stand and steam for about 5-7 minutes. 
  4. You can add the thawed frozen pea or carrot on top like they do in the Chinese restaurants
 And there you have it. Homemade Sui Mai :)

No comments:

Post a Comment