Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Noble Pig

So normally I let my brother do the restaurant reviews...but I'll take a stab at it today.  We've been trying to try new places here in Austin and stumbled upon the Austin Eater 38 a few weeks ago(http://austin.eater.com/archives/2013/01/08/eater-38-january-13.php)...so since then we've been chipping away at it.

Today I decided to head to the Noble Pig (http://www.noblepigaustin.com/), it's on the top of the Austin Eater 38 and it was on Diners Drive-Ins, and Dives and big plus?  It's about 10 minutes away from my apartment.

This amused me when I walked in.  I think it says Guy was here. Anyway, onto the sandwiches.  The first one was the Fried Egg, Potato, and Cheddar. Henry wanted to add bacon and I wanted to add sausage.  I enjoyed mine, the bread was toasted nicely, the sausage and potato was seasoned well and overall a nice filling breakfast sandwich.  Henry's is below, he had bacon and told me the flavor was nice but he needed just a little something extra just to add a kick to the sandwich and cut through the flavors, so he added a bit of Sriracha.


So, since we haven't really been home to make anything and Henry had to work today.  I also ordered a few sandwiches for lunch.

First Up, The Noble Pig, which is their signature sandwich...well at least it's the one with a crown on it when you walk in and look at their menu :)
This sandwich was delicious.  It has spicy ham, pulled pork, provolone, and bacon.  The bacon was thin and crispy, the pork belly was cooked really well and the spicy ham gave a nice balance to the other two meats.  I'm not a mustard fan so I asked them to leave that out.  Henry will have to tell you if that added more flavor or not but mine didn't need it.  I only had a little less than half of it but that's because I also ordered another sandwich to taste as well.

Next was the Smoked Duck Pastrami with Russian Dressing and Rye Pickles.  I forgot to take a picture but this was a great sandwich.  I'm not a pickle fan but the acidity definitely fit in with everything and I enjoyed it.  The dressing was nice and a little creamy, the duck was cooked like nothing I've tasted before...in a good way.  Overall I only ate a little bit of this too since I was full...but I will have an amazing lunch and dinner tomorrow :)

I think this place is a must.  I wouldn't mind going again and trying the other sandwiches on their menu.  Oh and they also sell duck fat which I totally am a little excited to cook with.

Well that's my take on the place.  I would definitely recommend this especially if you are not in the mood for a typical sit down place.  There was a line when I went in but it moved pretty quickly.  I think overall I was there a total of 20-30 minutes that includes wait time for the line, order time, and of course wait time for the food.  There is an option to eat there, they have a few tables inside and quite a few on the outside. 

So I guess this crosses another one off the Eater list.  We have now tried 10 (9 we have tried together and one we have tried on our own) out of the 38 places on the list. =)

Happy Eating!
-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment