Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hyde Park Bar and Grill


   After work on Thursday, I was craving the salty and savoriness of a good plate of french fries.  I like to believe that french fries are one of the best comfort foods that you can get your hands on, that is, if you don't consume too many of sweets (like me). 
   So after doing a bit of research, my sister and I decided to go to Hyde Park Bar and Grill (http://www.hpbng.com) for dinner.  I'd heard good things about this Austin Originally eatery, but the most exciting thing to me was "the best french fries in Austin."  
    I ordered the blackened Fish Tacos with a side of fries...mainly because my sister probably wouldn't let me just order 3 orders of french fries for dinner.

   The tacos tasted great; the ploblano coleslaw was surprisingly cooling instead of spicy, which complemented the slight kick of the jalapenos marinated tomatoes, red onions and tomatillo salsa.
The fries: seasoned, battered and lightly fried with a Hyde Park Sauce.  The flavor of the fresh cut fries was quite tasty, but I would have liked them to be crispier.  Though the fries were seasoned well, the real star was the dipping sauce that came with them.  It was a mayo based dipping sauce that had, pepper, salt, I think some cayenne pepper, with maybe some jalapeno blended in with the mayo.  I couldn't deconstruct it completely, but just know it was good.
   My sister got the Turkey burger and I have to confess, it did taste pretty good.  I didn't recognize that it wasn't beef at first.  The turkey was moist and very well seasoned and had a great flavor.  But since I only had a bite, you'll have to ask her more about it.
   I usually don't like talking about the decor or atmosphere or a restaurant, but it makes me think of an slightly upscale version of Kerbey Lane Cafe (the original Kerbey Lane, the one actually on Kerbey Lane)

No comments:

Post a Comment