Sunday, January 13, 2013

Omelet and Clam Chowder

My Sundays are always my lazy days.  I didn't really go anywhere I sat at home and just watched the playoff games.  Though I knew Atlanta was probably win, I wanted the Seahawks to pull it off...they were so close but at least it was a great game.  It looks like this weekend all of my picks for the playoffs were at 50%.  I totally thought Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning would push their teams through but alas they didn't.  I do feel good that Justin Tucker kicked the game winning field goal in double OT.  Hook 'Em!   I didn't think the Texans would win against the Patriots but I definitely didn't think they would let Brady win by that much...oh well what can you do?

Anyway, since Friday night, Saturday lunch and dinner are my "cheat" times...I had to eat a little healthy today.  Nothing too crazy here's what I made. 

Brunch was just a regular Mushroom Gouda Omelet



Ingredients:
  • 1 Extra large egg
  • Dash of milk
  • 2-4 oz of white mushrooms (about 4 mushrooms)
  • 1 Green Onion
  • Salt and pepper for taste
  • Mini babybel Gouda cheese, grated
Directions: 
  1. Spray a 6 inch omelet pan with Pam and saute the mushrooms and green onions.  
  2. Meanwhile, in a small prep bowl mix the egg, dash of milk, salt and pepper and whisk lightly with a fork. 
  3. When mushrooms look tender pour the egg mixture over the omelet and let set until most of the egg white/yolk has stopped running. 
  4. Grate part of the gouda into the middle of the omelet and flip over
  5. Cook on both sides
  6. Move omelet to a plate and grate a little bit more Gouda on top
And there you have it, brunch is served!  I didn't grate all of the Gouda but you guys can if you want.

For dinner I decided to try out Weight Watcher's Manhattan Clam Chowder 




  • 2 Bottles of Clam Juice (8 oz)
  • 1 can of chopped clams (6.5oz)
  • 1 Can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
  • 1 Celery Stalk, diced
  • 1 Carrot, diced
  • 1 Zucchini, diced 
  • 1/2lb of potatoes diced
  • 1/2 an onion, diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • Salt and Pepper for Taste
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Oregano 
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2 teaspoons of olive oil 
  1.  Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat
  2. Add the onions and garlic until onions are translucent
  3. Add the rest of the veggies and cook until tender
  4. Next add the clam juice, tomatoes, and water, along with all seasonings and bring to a boil.
  5. After bowling for 5 minutes, lower temperature and simmer until potatoes are done.  Taste and add salt and pepper as needed
  6. Finally add the clams and allow the soup to heat but not boil.
  7. Remove from heat and serve hot
This serves about four, each serving is about a cup and a half.  Enjoy!

-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment